dwm’s status bar text can be set using the
xsetroot -name $status
notion. This very well leads to big scripts, which pull in unneeded
dependencies. One solution for this is to write everything in C. C is much
more efficient. This page will give you a barebone dwmstatus project and
show examples on how to extend it to your needs.
git clone git://git.suckless.org/dwmstatus
This is a barebone project you can use for changing it to your needs.
User submitted versions
Please add your own version of dwmstatus here (keeping the list sorted).
- barM - can display all, time/date, ram usage, output of commands (the New BarMonitor).
- dstat Screenshot - displays the current network throughput, CPU usage, performance settings, battery status, temperature, volume settings, as well as the current date and time (OpenBSD only, no support for Linux).
- dwms - displays time, network, audio, and battery status, written in Go using XGB.
- dwmsd - a daemon that listens on localhost tcp (may be useful as a base for asynchronous updates)
- dwmstat - small and simple | IP, CPU temperature, system volume, current local time (and more) | config.h | OpenBSD
- go-dwmstatus - A Go bar that prints current MPD song, load averages, time/date and battery percentage.
- gods - implemented in Go. prints network speed, cpu, ram, date/time
- profil-dwmstatus-1.0.c - cpufreq, battery percent and date/time
- slstatus - suckless alternative to bash scripts (inefficient) and conky (bloated for this use) - it displays various system information and can be customized via config.h - git mirror, github
- suspend-statusbar.c - date, loadavg, battery and more. If battery goes below threshold - run suspend command
If you have simple C functions for gathering system information, please add them here as file or as code example.
- Support for ACPI battery status Linux
- Reading out a temperature from /sys
- Reading up-, and downspeeds of all network interfaces from /proc/net
- Counting number of mails in a Maildir/new
- Get disk usage and execute some check at different moments : Because you don’t want to check new mails every second
- Detecting Man-In-The-Middle
- Show line per line the content of a file : See tmpinfo function. It prints line after line the content of /tmp/dwmbuf.
- Simple function to have uptime
- Simple function to have mpd title/artist info
- Print any info in dwm status bar via fifo. Replaces dynamic_info.
- Battery function : Battery percentage and status. + if charging, - if discharging, = if full.
- Alsa Volume API : Alsa Volume via the Alsa API
If you have any questions regarding dwmstatus, contact Christoph Lohmann (email@example.com).